The ships telegraph or engine order telegraph is a mechanical device which transfers engine orders between the bridge of a ship and the engine room, The bridge telegraph sits on a freestanding pedestal and is linked via chains to the engine room telegraph. The ships telegraph was invented around 1870.
A twin handled, twin sided ships repeating engine order telegraph by famous maker Chadburns Ltd, Liverpool. Original dials, electric light fitting for face illumination and complete with original back up illumination oil lantern. Working bell mechanism.
Made from brass, unpolished
Max height : 111cm / 43 inches.
A single handled, single sided non repeating ships engine order bridge telegraph by Mechans Ltd, Scotstown, Glasgow. Electric light face illumination.
Made from brass, max height: 111cm / 43 inches
This ships bridge telegraph has been polished ready for display.
A twin handled, twin sided ships engine order telegraph by makers Mechans Ltd, Scotstown, Glasgow. Made from brass with cast iron pedestal.
Reputedly removed from a British Admiralty / Royal Navy Motor Torpedo boat. Max height: 85 cm / 33 inches.
Ships engine room, engine order telegraph by famous maker Chadburns Ship Telegraph Co Ltd, Liverpool. Repeating mechanism with working bell signal.
Cast brass body and components with original dial.
Diameter: 27 cm / 10.5 inches.
Antique ships engine order telegraph side lantern / illumination lamp. These lanterns were used to illuminate the face dials during the hours of darkness, even if the ship was fitted with electricity they were still used as a back up light source.
The lamp hangs on lugs that are fitted on the side of the telegraphs head and they are specific to the diameter of the telegraphs head.
Copyright © 2022 Clipper Maritime Antiques - All Rights Reserved.